Trade plate renewal and application reminder

Public news

One of the most common problems MTA members encounter is difficulty renewing or applying for trade plates through the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

This is a reminder that we make it easier for you to do this, saving time and money!

An added benefit of being a financial MTA member (up to date with membership fees) is that we are authorised by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to recommend the approval for applicants to hold a trade plate. Without being a financial MTA member, an application for renewal of a trade plate or obtaining one for the first time, requires a large list of primary documents to be submitted with your application, taking up vast amounts of time and money on your part.

If you still have questions after reading the below FAQ, we are still happy to help. Click here to contact us.

“How quick is the process through the MTA?”

Renewal of a Trade Plate

As a Member of the MTA, all you need to do is take your MR304 application (renewal) to the MTA’s Greenhill Road office or the Training and Employment Centre at Royal Park. Alternatively, you can mail it to us.

New applicant for a Trade Plate

If you are a new applicant, bring the completed MR304 and MR306 applications to us completed and signed.

In these circumstances, we will then authorise and stamp the application for you to take to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, speeding up the process and eliminating the need for extra documentation.

If you choose not to use the MTA to sign and stamp the MR304 and MR306 forms, applications through the Registrar of Motor Vehicles can take much longer, as going alone can mean a workshop inspection and producing numerous additional documents, including a Second-hand Vehicle Dealers Licence Certificate, Confirmation of Return to Work SA Registration documents, a current RAA Approved Repair Service Agreement documentation, an Extract of Business Registration and Extract of Company Registration, entry in the White and Yellow Pages, Notice of an ABN Number and Registered Business Name Certificate.

An important note! The Registrar will only accept original documents! No scanned documents will be accepted.

“Can we have a copy of our MTA Letter or Certificate to accompany our application form?”

You do not need either of these items if getting us to recommend approval for applicants to hold a trade plate. If you are using us to authorise and stamp the application, all you need is the completed forms.

“I haven’t paid my membership fees. Will you still authorise my applications?”

No. You must be up to date with your membership fees.

Getting the MTA to sign and stamp the MR304 and MR306 application will cost $16.50. This can be charged to either your Capricorn account or you can pay via Eftpos or credit card.

If you still need any clarification, please contact us by calling 8291 2000 and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have in regards to these forms.

Remember! Have your MR304 and / or MR306 forms ready and filled in, drop into the MTA and it will save you time going it alone through the Registrar!