We have received communication from SafeWork SA that their inspectors will soon increase their focus on safety in road freight transport.
SafeWork SA has identified the areas below for inspection. The MTA is available to assist you with your compliance to ensure things go smoothly if you are inspected.
- Worker abilities to identify risks and develop safety solutions
- Ensuring that you regularly review procedures for packing and securing loads
- Ensuring equipment is fit for purpose
- Ensuring schedules allow workers to complete jobs safely
- Ensuring that rosters allow adequate rest time
This coincides with the changes to the National Heavy Vehicle Law (NHVL) which comes into effect on 1 October 2018.
Our Workplace Relations team has developed training packages to ensure business owners, managers and employees have the skills and knowledge to manage their legal obligations in regards to the Chain of Responsibility (CoR). Our CoR training and packages include tools in order to maintain compliance on the following:
- Repairing, leasing or selling heavy vehicles
- Consigning goods
- Safely packing goods
- Loading goods
- Receiving goods
The new NHVL Chain of Responsibility training course and packages are being run at a special price for MTA members.
Click here to contact the MTA's Workplace Relations team about booking a training session or package.