The Public Holidays over the Christmas and New Year period are as follows:
- Tuesday, 24 December 2019 (Christmas Eve) - Part-Day Public Holiday:7pm – 12 Midnight
- Wednesday, 25 December 2019 (Christmas Day)
- Thursday, 26 December 2019 (Proclamation Day)
- Tuesday, 31 December 2019 (New Year’s Eve) - Part-Day Public Holiday:7pm – 12 midnight
- Wednesday, 1 January 2020 (New Year’s Day)
As with previous years, non-exempt shops in the CBD (Central Business District) and Metropolitan area including automotive parts and accessories retailers, are permitted to trade on all public holidays (plus any extended hours set out below) except on Christmas Day. The Minister has also granted exemptions for suburban shopping centre trading on Thursday, Proclamation Day, 26 December 2019.
However, boat and motor vehicle dealers (other than caravan and trailer dealers) are not allowed to trade on any of the public holidays or Sundays over the Christmas/New Year period and are also excluded from the extended trading hours as set out below.
For the 2019 Christmas period, the State Government has approved extra trading in the lead-up to Christmas and for the post-Christmas period as set out below:
Non-exempt shops in the City and wider Metropolitan area can trade:
- On Friday 29 November - until midnight
- On the following Sundays: 1 December; 8 December; 15 December; and 29 December: from 9am to 5pm
- On Sunday 22 December: from 9pm - 6pm.
- On Thursday 19 December; and Friday 20 December – until midnight
- On Saturday 21 December - until 6pm
- On Monday 23 December - until midnight
- Wednesday 25 December (Christmas Day) -Closed
- On Thursday 26 December (Public Holiday: Proclamation Day): from 9am - 5pm
- On Friday 27 December - until 9pm
- On Saturday 28 December - until 5pm
- On Sunday 29 December - from 9am-5pm
- On Tuesday 31 December - until 9pm
- On Wednesday 1 January 2019 (New Year’s Day Public Holiday):from 11am - 5pm (City only)
Members are also reminded that all employees working during these extended hours do so on a strictly voluntary basis. Further, businesses that trade on a public holiday must observe the public holiday payment provisions under the relevant award for any work performed by employees on the public holiday. Members unclear on the application of public holiday provisions under the Vehicle Award or the Clerks Award should contact the MTA’s Workplace Relation team by clicking here.
Part-Day Public Holidays – 24 December and 31 December 2019 – Service Stations / Roadhouses
While the part-day public holidays on 24 December and 31 December will apply to all employers, the largest impact in the automotive industry will be likely on members who engage Driveway Attendants, Roadhouse Attendants and Console Operators. The payments under the Vehicle Award are summarised as follows:
Permanent (Full-time & Part- time staff)
- If not required to work: To be paid the ordinary hours that would normally have been worked by the employee between 7pm and 12 am
- If required to work between 7pm and 12am:
Payments at 200% for time actually worked
- If required to work between 7pm & 12am:
Payment as per Clause 36 for time actually worked during this period – refer to page 9 of the Wage Schedule (for Weekends & Public Holidays)
The MTA’s Greenhill Road Office will be closed from 5pm, Tuesday 24 December 2019 and will re-open on Thursday, 2 January 2020.
If you have any questions in relation to Christmas trading hours, click here to contact the Workplace Relations team.