The Public Holidays over the Christmas and New Year period are as follows:
- Monday, 24 December 2018 (Christmas Eve) - Part-Day Public Holiday: 7pm – 12 Midnight
- Tuesday, 25 December 2018 (Christmas Day)
- Wednesday, 26 December 2018 (Proclamation Day)
- Monday, 31 December 2018 (New Year’s Eve) - Part-Day Public Holiday: 7pm – 12 midnight
- Tuesday, New Year’s Day 1 January 2019
As with previous years, non-exempt shops in the CBD (Central Business District) and Metropolitan area including motor vehicle parts and accessories are permitted to trade on all public holidays (plus any extended hours set out below) except on Christmas Day. The Minister has also granted exemptions for suburban shopping centre trading on Wednesday, Proclamation Day, 26 December 2018.
However, boat and motor vehicle dealers (other than caravan and trailer dealers) cannot trade on any of the public holidays over the Christmas/New Year period.
For the 2018 Christmas period, the State Government has approved extra trading in the lead-up to Christmas and for the post-Christmas period as set out below:
Non-exempt shops in the City and wider Metropolitan area can trade:
- -On the following Sundays: 2 December; 9 December; 16 December; and
- -On Thursday 13 December; Thursday 20 December; and Friday 21 December - Until midnight
- -On Saturday 22 December – until 6pm
- -On Monday 24 December - until 9pm
- -Tuesday 25 December (Christmas Day) - Closed
- -On Wednesday 26 December (Public Holiday: Proclamation Day): from 9am - 5pm.
- -On Thursday 27 December and Friday 28 December- until 9pm.
- -On Monday 31 December- until 9pm.
- -On Tuesday 1 January 2019 (New Year’s Day Public Holiday): from 11am - 5pm
- 30 December: from 9am to 5pm: On Sunday 23 December: from 9pm - 6pm – City only
Members are also reminded that businesses that trade on a public holiday must observe the public holiday payment provisions under the relevant award for any work performed by employees on the public holiday. Members unclear on the application of public holiday provisions under the Vehicle Award or the Clerks Award should contact the Workplace Relation Department of the MTA by clicking here.
Part-Day Public Holidays – 24 December and 31 December 2018 – Service Stations/Roadhouses
While the part-day public holidays on 24 December and 31 December will apply to all employers, the largest impact in the automotive industry will be on members who engage Driveway Attendants, Roadhouse Attendants and Console Operators. The payments under the Vehicle Award are summarised as follows:
- Permanent (Full-time & Part- time staff)
- If not required to work: To be paid the ordinary hours that would normally have been worked between 7pm and 12 am
- If required to work between 7pm and 12am: Payments at 200% for time actually worked
-If required to work between 7pm and 12am: Payment as per Clause 36 for time actually worked during this period – refer to page 9 of the Wage Schedule (for Weekends & Public Holidays)The Greenhill Road Office of the MTA will be closed from 5pm, Monday 24 December 2018 and will re-open on Wednesday, 2 January 2019. The Workplace Relations Department of the MTA would also like to take this opportunity of extending the season’s greetings and best wishes to all our members.